As I sit on the deck of our mountain cabin rental wearing a jacket and sipping coffee, I pondered these sporty thoughts:
• The only player a camouflage athletic uniform is remotely a good look is on the military sports teams.
• If there are three various little league level World Series champs, who’s the actual World Champ?
• As I approach the 20th year since my girls’ basketball team won a state championship, I realize I still miss the kids and I miss teaching the game, but I don’t miss the long hours and ridiculously low pay of coaching.
• If only 3% of high school athletes go on to play college-level sports, then the other 97% need to play all the sports in high school they can squeeze in.
• After attending the funeral in high school of the captain of our football team because the coach thought water was for pansies, I am ecstatic with every new rule passed that protects the players.
• Volleyball shorts seem to be getting shorter while baseball pants are getting longer.
• The best characteristic a coach can possess is the ability to keep his or her ego in check. The second best is a strong work ethic. Third is the ability to assert discipline while maintaining a sense of humor.
• The longer I live, the more I realize the sport of football is not for everyone. But for those it is for, there is no other sport that better teaches character, strength and personal fortitude for young men.
• I still marvel at the fact that Scott Klees, football coach at Wakulla High School, won three district championships while at Munroe in three different sports (football, basketball and softball) There aren’t many coaches who can say that.
• I’ve never watched a cross-country match and have no idea how one actually does.
• Still not sure why the classification 1A, with schools three times more students than 2A, has the designation as 1A.
FOOTBALL UPON US:
Summer has flown by and here we are the week before high school football in Florida opens practice. That is unless you live in Georgia where they started practicing last week, although their first day in helmets isn’t until August 1. That does give the Bainbridge Bearcats quite an earlier start when they face East Gadsden in a season opener on August 23.
It’s interesting to note that Michigan high schools don’t start football until August 12, two and three weeks later than Florida schools where the heat and humidity are far higher.
“FORM”alities: Parents of athletes, with fall sports bearing down it’s important to remind you that there are three forms required by the FHSAA before an athlete can step on the practice field. All of these forms can be found on the fhsaa.org website. Click on “For Schools,” then Forms, and then click on General Forms.
1) The Physical Evaluation Form (EL2) – required annually and good for one calendar year. Can be performed by physician, physician’s assistant or nurse practioner.
2) Parent Release (EL3)
3) Certificate for Concussion and Heat-Related Illness (EL3CH)
QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
Son asks, “Dad, why do they call it golf?” Dad replies, “Because *&^#* and @#!$% were already taken, son.”