MUNROE HIRES NEW FOOTBALL COACH:
Vic Culley, successful head coach and assistant coach in several North Florida and Georgia high schools, has accepted the position as head football coach at Munroe beginning second semester.
Culley takes over for interim coaches Joey Edwards and Jimmy Harris, who took over October 7 for former coach Danny Hood following Hood’s arrest for having an improper relationship with a female student.
But back to Culley, who has ties to several local, successful coaches. Culley served as defensive coordinator with Andy Gay at Shanks High School and Tim Cokely at North Florida Christian. He spent twelve seasons at NFC as defensive coordinator and assisted in two state championships and also won a state championship as the head coach at Eagles Landing in Georgia.
Culley will take over a Bobcat team that finished 7-3 with four seniors and returns their quarterback, Will Harris, all linemen, and leading yardage gainer Bo Bailey.
LET THE WAR BEGIN:
Several county coaches and players have been invited to participate in the 2014 Georgia-Florida War of the Border All Star Football game. East Gadsden’s Trace Laing will be coaching defensive line. Jaguar players invited to participate are Derrick Kelly, Kendre James, JaJuan Perkins, Jalleel Reynolds, Javarius Johnson, and Geomarey Smith
West Gadsden football coach Joey Striplin will be coaching receivers and will be bringing three players with him - Deonte Jackson, Corey Dixon, and Miguel Davis.
Munroe’s Myles Edwards was selected from the Bobcat team as well.
The game will be played January 17 in Moultrie.
IN SPORTS ACTION LAST WEEK:
• A slow first quarter proved to be insurmountable as the 4A Lady Jags lost to the 2A FAMU Lady Rattlers 74-47. Deambrenque Davis led in scoring with 13 points.
• Munroe senior Jalyn Lewis scored 42 points in the Bobcats’ 72-54 loss at North Bay Haven on Thursday.
• Four West Gadsden players scored in double figures in a 59-47 win over Wakulla. Mark Bradwell scored 12, Marquis Brown and Lajarious Davis each hit 11 and Archie Albritton added 10 points. The Panthers moved to 8-1 on the season with the win.
• East Gadsden lost to FAMU by one point and Florida High by four points to finish the TCC Holiday Classic with an 0-2 record. John Fain and Bobby Dukes combined for 37 in the Florida High loss.
• West Gadsden’s soccer team had a strong showing against Maclay before the holiday break. The Panthers lost 4-2. Alejandro Sanchez and Alejandro Sandro each scored a goal while goalie Israel Grande totaled 13 saves.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
“Have you ever noticed what golf spells backwards?”